League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Tie - break calculations still in error

By CoachDumphool321
8/14/2021 12:09 pm
Don't necessarily take for granted the little 'e' in front of your team. I've noted in the past issues with tie-break calculations, today's error involving Chicago.

'e' in front of Chicago suggests it is eliminated with two weeks to go as both New York (N) and Detroit are 9-5 with Chicago @ 7-7. But-
On Sept 24 Chicago defeated Detroit 13-0. If Chicago wins its last two games (vs. Detroit in last game) and Detroit manages to lose against Minnesota and Chicago, both Chicago and Detroit would be 9-7.
Chicago would win the tie-break between the two clubs by virtue of being 2-0 in head-to-head games.

I have to assume mfn knows this is not going to happen which is why Chicago is already marked as eliminated.

Moral: Double-check your tiebreaks and don't trust little 'e's in front of your team without double-checking.

However, I agree with mfn in one aspect: just looking at the huge disparity in player ratings between the two teams (Detroit massively better) this result should not happen.

Re: Tie - break calculations still in error

By Smirt211
8/17/2021 10:20 am
USFL delves deep into these scenarios when they come up.

I know CJ and Greg are angered because JDB could never pinpoint how it exactly works and why the site is often wrong.

Re: Tie - break calculations still in error

By CoachDumphool321
8/21/2021 4:37 am
CoachDumphool321 wrote:

'e' in front of Chicago suggests it is eliminated with two weeks to go as both New York (N) and Detroit are 9-5 with Chicago @ 7-7. But-
On Sept 24 Chicago defeated Detroit 13-0. If Chicago wins its last two games (vs. Detroit in last game) and Detroit manages to lose against Minnesota and Chicago, both Chicago and Detroit would be 9-7.
Chicago would win the tie-break between the two clubs by virtue of being 2-0 in head-to-head games.

Moral: Double-check your tiebreaks and don't trust little 'e's in front of your team without double-checking.

So, the unexpected happened and Chicago won its last two while Detroit lost its last two, and Chicago got in on tie-break, which was correctly calculated.

Be aware, though: the 'moral' still applies. Chicago was marked as eliminated with two weeks to go and that was not the case.